Academic and Personal Support
The Carolina Covenant begins with an exceptional financial aid award, but it does not end there. The Covenant also incorporates academic and personal support services and special programming to help Scholars adapt to campus life and reach their educational goals.
The program is designed to help Scholars make the most of their Carolina experience. It includes individual advising, mentoring, workshops, social activities, alumni connections, and more.
Following are some of the many academic and personal support services and special programming opportunities in which Covenant Scholars may elect to participate.
- Orientation. Special orientation sessions are held for Scholars and their parents to welcome them to Carolina, tell them more about the opportunities available through the Covenant, and provide information to help them get off to a good start.
- Mentoring. Entering Scholars are assigned a faculty/professional staff mentor and a peer mentor during their first year at Carolina. UNC physicians and surgeons mentor many Scholars who are interested in pursuing careers in medicine.
- Academic workshops. Workshops cover topics such as time management, note taking, study techniques, test taking, reading for better comprehension, and studying for math, biology, and chemistry.
- Special programming. Opportunities include business etiquette dinners, financial literacy and public speaking workshops, and career services and pre-med seminars.
- Social events. Scholars are offered vouchers to attend performing arts events and are invited to engage with fellow Scholars at receptions, movie nights, and other events celebrating their achievements.
- Study Abroad. Covenant Scholars are encouraged to participate in a study abroad experience.
- Covenant Gives Back. Created and run by Covenant Scholars, this organization provides Scholars with opportunities to give back to the community through public service.
In addition to workshops, programs, and activities, faculty and staff work individually with Scholars as needed to ensure their academic success.
Each Scholar’s academic progress is monitored by the academic coordinators for the Carolina Covenant. They work individually with Scholars who appear to need help getting back on track and those with specific academic or learning-related issues. They also work directly with others on campus and in the community to get Scholars the help they need to address specific academic needs.