Skip to content

Carolina Covenant

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Carolina Covenant – Frequently Asked Questions

Covenant Supports and Resources Overview At-a-Glance

Budgeting Worksheet

How is a student considered for the Carolina Covenant? 

A student meets all financial aid deadlines by applying as soon after October 1 as possible, completing the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE forms by March 1 – and having all follow-up forms in by August 1.  A student must first be admitted to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill before financial aid status is reviewed.  All in-state dependent and independent students will be reviewed.  All out-of-state dependent students will be reviewed.  

What is the eligibility criteria for the Carolina Covenant? 

The Carolina Covenant is based on the federal poverty guidelines (at or below 200 percent), the number of family members in the household, and family asset values per the CSS PROFILE form in the students entering year.  See our website for updated eligibility criteria each year.  

What does the Carolina Covenant Cover? (Entering Freshmen) 

The Carolina Covenant pledges to meet the full documented need of eligible students with a combination of grants, scholarships, and the amount that can be earned by working 10-12 hours per week in a Federal Work-Study job.  This combination of assistance provides first Covenant Scholars with the opportunity to attend eight regular academic year semesters and graduate debt-free from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Debt-free packages are generally limited to attendance during regular academic terms (fall and spring semesters).  

What does the Carolina Covenant Cover? (Transfer) 

Sophomore transfers designated as Carolina Covenant Scholars may receive six academic semesters of debt-free packaging.  Junior transfers designated as Carolina Covenant scholars may receive four academic semesters of debt-free packaging.  Senior transfer students may receive up to two academic semesters of debt-free packaging. 

Are there resources available for Carolina Covenant Scholars for summer? 

Financial aid for summer is based on the prior academic year’s FAFSA.  Covenant Scholars will be considered for Pell Grant and/or loans only for summer. 

Is there financial aid for Study Abroad for Carolina Covenant Scholars for the academic year, and summer? 

Yes, you may use your financial aid grant funds from the Carolina Covenant to apply towards your study abroad program providing that you are studying abroad during the fall or spring semester, but not summer.  We do not have remaining grant aid to award for summers.  We encourage students to study abroad during the academic year, or to expect to borrow loan funds for the summer because of choosing to participate at that time.  In addition to the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE forms, you would need to complete the Financial Aid for Study Abroad Form.  

If I choose to participate in as study abroad program during the academic year and the costs of my study abroad program exceed the costs for attending UNC – what funds are available? 

If the cost for attendance abroad exceeds our UNC cost of attendance, we can add the additional costs to your budget so that you may borrow through loan resources.  You can determine the cost of specific study abroad programs by visiting and reviewing the budget sheet for each program.  If you were awarded Work-Study during the academic year, we will convert that semester’s portion into grant while you are studying abroad. 

If I am not covered under my parent’s health insurance and required to enroll in the campus Student Blue Plan, is there assistance available? 

Yes, please apply by completing this link.

If I am living in Rams Village, or off-campus, and my living costs exceed the on campus standard double occupancy rate for housing, may I request a housing allowance add-on? 

Yes, please apply by completing this link.

What happens to my financial aid if I did not meet the August 1 deadline? 

Your package would consist of Pell Grants and loans only.  If there are any extenuating circumstances for not being able to apply on time, you may submit a written appeal to the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid – PO BOX 1080 – Chapel Hill, NC  27514 

What happens to my financial aid if I move off-campus? 

You financial aid will be exactly the same if you live on or off-campus.  The difference is that you will receive a refund that you will have to budget carefully for off-campus housing/meals/transportation. 

Do Carolina Covenant Scholars receive support for a laptop computer? 

Yes, you will be automatically eligible for a laptop grant in your entering semester only.  This covers the basic Lenovo laptop computer.  If you want a more expensive version you will have to cover the difference out of pocket.  If you wish to order printers/copiers, you will also be responsible for paying for those out of pocket. 

Does the Carolina Covenant Cover Summer Orientation? 

Yes, it covers the orientation fees for the student and one parent to come and stay on campus.  It does not cover travel fees or hotel fees if the parent opts to stay off campus.  If a student pays before they were awarded Carolina Covenant status – they may be reimbursed by the method in which they paid.  The Office of New Student and Family Programs Covers the Cost. 

Does the Carolina Covenant Cover the Enrollment Deposit? 

No, this is an expense the family is responsible for paying to ensure acceptance and a housing placement.  However, you may defer your enrollment deposit until the fall if you need more time to make payment. 

What happens to my Carolina Covenant award if I drop a course? 

Your award will NOT change if you drop a course after the census date, and remain enrolled at least half-time status (six hours).  If you drop before the census date your financial aid will be revised and you will owe a balance back to the Cashiers Office.  Please check with us before you drop in this case so that you will know the amount that you will owe back to the University. 

What happens to my Carolina Covenant award if I withdraw from the University? 

You will need to let us know your “effective date” of withdrawal.  We will then be able to determine the amount that you will owe back to the University under the Return to Title IV federal guidelines.  If you withdraw after being enrolled for 60 percent of the semester, there will be no repayment.